Today Detroit defeated Houston 17 to 7. No folks it’s not pre-season football that I am referring to… that was in fact todays spring training final score. Besides we all know that the Lions defense can’t hold an opposing team to just seven points.
Prior to that pitchers duel (note sarcasm) I had a chance to watch last seasons draft picks Jacob Turner and Andy Oliverin a scrimmage game on a practice field.
More about that and my usual daily dose of useless random observations down below.
- Eddie Bonine and Phil Coke did wonderful impressions of each other today. Both Bonine and Coke decided to put up identical numbers today. In two innings of work; three hits, zero walks one strike out and one earned run were turned in by the duo. It is also worth mentioning that they both also have a 4.50 ERA on the early season. GOOD JOB fellas!
- After Joel Zumaya breezed through the fifth inning on just nine pitches he struggled in the sixth. Zoom Zoom allowed three runs on three hits, a walk and yet another hit batter. Hey skip, how bout’ taking him out after one inning? Perhaps that would have boosted his confidence a bit.
- Non-Roster Invitees Dumatrait and Gonzalez also logged an inning a piece. Neither impressed me very much. While they both avoided runs on the day there performances were mediocre at best.
- Jacob Turner looked very impressive today. He turned in two scoreless innings with one strike out and one walk. I hope that he begins the regular season in Lakeland so I have the opportunity to watch him pitch again soon.
- The Tigers drew eleven walks today. Sure it is Spring Training and pitchers are working on new pitches but it was nice to see. Ryan Raburn and Austin Jackson have been doing a good job of this so far this spring. Let’s pray that this becomes a trend that catches on and continues into the regular season.
- Carlos Guillen went 2-3 today with a RBI. Again, I know it’s early but it is encouraging that Guillen understands that a designated hitter is responsible for umm… hitting the ball. His defense in left field today made me very happy that we forked out cash for Damon. At one point he threw his hands up in the air almost as if he was saying… I have no idea where the ball is. He didn’t either.
- Don Kelly crushed a mammoth home run to right field by the palm trees. If you have ever been to Joker Marchant Stadium then you know that is a pretty nice knock. He was 2-2 on the day and he remains an interesting candidate for the final bench spot.
- Brennan Boesch returned to action today late in the game. He went 0-1 with a walk and a run scored. It was just nice to see him back in action after the incident on Tuesday.
- Diek Scram was also 1-1 with an RBI. Okay he isn’t a serious prospect but damn it’s fun yelling SCRAM!!
- Former Detroit Tigers Chris Shelton, Tim Byrdak, Shane Loux and Yorman Bazardo all made an appearance today. It had me wondering if they wanted any more of our trash?
Justin Verlander will make his first game appearance tomorrow against the Baltimore Orioles. Brad Thomas, Ryan Perry and Jay Sborz are scheduled to pitch in relief. Just curious is Jose Valverde planning on pitching this spring?
Full report tomorrow evening.
*Stay Classy Tiger Nation