It was cold and windy again but once again a fun time was had by all. Rather than spoon feed the box scores to you, I thought I would share some useless random observations of mine from todays game.
- Rick Porcello tossed a perfect game…well sort of. In his two innings of work today Kid Rick retired all six batters that he faced. He looked great!
- Max Scherzer got beat like a pinata on Cinco De Mayo. In his Tigers debut crazy eyes gave up four straight singles for three Jays runs in 3rd. He settled down though in the fourth, striking out two. I wouldn’t read to much into his poor performance today.
- Dotrelle Willis is a tough subject for me to discuss. I think everyone wants him to succeed, he is a great guy who has simply lost the ability to play baseball. While he did pitch two scoreless frames today it is worth noting that is wasn’t very impressive. In both innings he allowed lead of walks and several of his pitches missed the strike zone by a gross margin. I am not trying to kick a man when he’s down but this small sample size wasn’t enough to get me excited.
- Armando Galarraga looked like garbage. In just one inning he surrendered four hits and walked two. He surrenderd four runs and it could have been a lot worse. The strong winds saved a home run for him. I hope that like Scherzer he is just knocking off some rust.
- Beyond the boxscore, Austin Jackson has been pretty impressive. He is taking a lot of pitches, which is normaly a difficult thing for young players to do. It is very important that he continues to do so, as we all know that is the top priority for a lead off hitter. He has looked as advertised in the outfield so far.
- Ryan Strieby was 1-1 with a walk and an RBI today. Have I mentioned how much I like this kid? Find him another position!
- Brent Dlugach hit his second home run in as many days. Where is the power coming from?
- Scott Sizemore looked a little suspect with the glove today. He missed a bunt and a ground ball today. Jason Beck describes the play on Twitter “Scott Sizemore charged in well on Mike McCoy’s bunt. Didn’t have a chance at a play, but good sign for how he’s moving around” True, and I know he’s still learning but you can’t help but feel that will be a trend all season. Perhaps I just really miss Polly.
- Brennan Boesch is scheduled to return Friday after 11 stitches after being hit with a fly ball on Tuesday.
Tomorrow before the 1pm game against the Houston Astros I will be attending the “B game” at Kaline Field in the Tigertown complex. Jacob Turner and Andy Oliver are scheduled to pitch in that scrimmage. I will share more of my useless random observations from the game with you.
*Stay Classy Tiger Nation