A few thoughts and ideas bouncing around in my brain on this beautiful Friday morning…
- Billfer does a bang-up job over at the Detroit Tigers Weblog of figuring out this whole “option thing” that needs to be considered and Jeremy Bonderman and Marcus Thames near their return. Even though Billfer only chimes in here when he disagrees with me, this post is a must read. I kid.
- What do Frank Tanana and Jeremy Bonderman have in common? Click here to find out.
- Bless You Boys tabs Dontrelle’s start from yesterday as a “disaster”. I think that’s fair.
- Over at Mack Avenue Tigers, Kurt thinks it’s time to punt on Dontrelle Willis. Again, pretty hard to disagree. Things gone about as badly as they possibly could.
- At Old English D, Jennifer looks at both sides of the proverbial coin.
- Just in case you missed it, former mullet-rocker, Randy Johnson won is 300th career game today as he and the Giants defeated the Nationals. Why can’t the Tigers play the Nationals this weekend?
- Justin Verlander was named AL Pitcher of the month and Rick Porcello, AL Rookie of the month. Not too shabby. Porcello has just been so much better than I expected.
- Ervin Santana will start for the Angels tonight against Justin Verlander. Santana was an All-Star last season, but started the 2009 season on the DL and is just not quite right. I read somewhere that his fastball has been topping out at 91 or 92 mph and he has very little control. His numbers show that as he is 0-2 in four starts with a 2.222 WHIP in 18 innings pitched and an ERA of 9.50. I’ve always liked him, but his struggles can continue for one more day as far as I’m concerned.
- The Tigers lead in the AL Central is down to only 2.5 games after their loss to the Red Sox and a Twins win. The Twins are 2.5 back and the White Sox are 3.5 back.